Tuesday, October 30, 2012

It Is Well With My Soul, But I Am NOT ALRIGHT

"It is well with my soul, but I am not alright," is a quote by Kasey Ewing in her book God Enough. That is where I am at this point in my life.  Let me share a previous post that I wrote but never published:
There was an interesting question asked in Sunday School today. How safe do you feel in the arms of God? For most people it is easy to say, "Oh yeah, I trust God, I feel safe."  This time in my life has been interesting with all the uncertainties that come along with having quadruplets.  Everything from financial, housing, job and becoming parents to four have crossed our mind.  We laugh in our house because I have to be honest, I am at peace and Chris is like a duck on the water, calm on top but his feet are going 90 miles a hour. This is a complete and total reversal for us.  I am notoriously pessimistic and honestly I like that about myself. I will devise every possible bad scenario in my head and then no matter what happens I have already thought about and can work my way through it.  Chris is somewhere between Polly Positive and Whatever Happens Happens! That is probably why we are such a great team. Which brings me back to my original statement how safe do I feel in the arms of God? For one of the first times that I can remember I can say 100%.  Sure I still have my fears and anxiety about losing one of our babies, but I know God has a plan and a reason.

Apparently God read my unpublished posts because that is exactly what has been called into question this week.  How safe do I feel in the arms of God? Right now scared out of my mind, emotional but still remembering our God is a mighty and powerful God. Last Thursday, Chris and I went to our OB and after a lengthy scan we found out what two of our four babies were going to be. Don't get your hopes up we are not ready to tell just yet! Baby D (known in a previous blog as baby C) was still small but approximately 1 week behind in growth.  We left feeling positive.  All 4 babies had strong healthy heartbeats and were growing.  Our doctor wanted to see what the Perinatologist said about baby D before raising our hope too much. The Perinatologist has more detailed sonograms that can check for everything from the 4 chambers of the heart to umbilical blood flow.

Yesterday we saw the Perinatologist and it was an eventful emotional roller coaster for Chris and I.  Let me explain a normal weekly visit when you have 4 babies, sonograms are every week and they are lengthy sometimes up to an hour and a half.  During our sonogram yesterday the technician made several comments about Baby D. Frequently asking "Did you know there was problems with the Baby D's head?" She finished and stated that the doctor would come in and speak to us.  Dr. Briery was great at looking a babies A, B and C first and helping us determine that baby C is a . . . (Aunt Julie are you dying that I know three baby sexes and you don't.) All three babies look excellent and weigh 4 ounces each. This was the emotional roller coaster high point of the experience.  Now the low, Baby D on the other hand has some major structural issues that are catastrophic.  Baby D appears to have acrania (absence of a skull) which is a fatal congenital abnormality as well as an omphalocele or gastroschisis (both are potentially fatal.) This was a lot to take in and we still are processing this news.  Our options at this point are selective reduction (stop Baby D's beating heart), miscarriage or wait and see.  Complications if we do not have a miscarriage and Baby D survives then there is a chance the baby could stop drinking amniotic fluid and cause an imbalance that causes preterm labor for the rest of the children. If we do selective reduction then a) We have to deal with in our minds killing our child for the good of the other 3 b) Risk possibly losing one of the perfectly healthy babies to complications.

Thank you for all of your prayers.  It is much easier for me to write a blog or a text message than for me to talk to you personally.  It is how I remain in control and keep my emotions from exploding like word vomit .  This solution may not be the best for most people, but it is how I deal. My mom is at my house this week and she understands me so well she did not even hug me yesterday.   She knows what I can take and what I can't and a loving hug was not one of them (honestly I am not much of a hugger anyway, only my parents, Chris and kids will I hug anytime.) In fact one year I gave a co-worker a hug for her birthday as a present, she said it was the best present she had received that day.

Once again I want to thank everyone for their prayers.  They are felt even in this hard and uncertain time.   I titled this blog with my new mantra "It is well with my soul, but I am not alright."

Please follow our blog by email and feel free to give anyone the address to our blog!



4 comments:

  1. Stay strong you 2. I know my opinion does not mean that much.. and trust me i say this with all due respect.. if the ball was in my court and there was no risk to the others by SR'ing baby d I would do it to ensure the safety of the other 3. I am sure its a sacrifice baby d would do for his brothers and/or sisters.

    On a side note do not think that I do not know how that sort of pain feels. It does get deep, dark and sometimes lonely.

    If baby d's structure has fallen short of being complete it is like that for a reason. And as my facebook post said "He does have a plan. Though you may not see it at first glance"

    I am trying to make this post as tolerable as possible for you to read. You even have my 'ok' to delete it if you see fit. Just know Kelley and myself are here for you both.. should you ever just need to talk, yell or scream just to get your mind right.

    Love you guys. Please do not hesitate to call or facebook us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, my heart breaks for you and with you. I am so sorry for that heartrbreaking news. I want to say thank you for your honesty and for bearing your soul on the blog for others to share in. It's okay to not be okay and to bring that to Him. Thank you for your honesty so that so many people can bring your sweet babies and family to the throne. I have been through many "It is well with my soul, but I am not alright" moments. He is always there carrying me and not for a moment forsakes me.
    Praying for a miracle knowing that God is willing and He is able! Also praying for the decisions that y'all are facing. It's amazing that God loves our babies more than we can fathom. As He is knitting them together right now, His plan is perfect for every part.
    Hurting with you Erin, and we are laying you guys before the Lord tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, Chris, and your babies are on my mind and in my heart everyday. I am constantly praying for your family. I know this is such a hard time and I have no wise words or advice to give. But I do want you to know that I am praying that God gives you and Chris wisdom and strength during this very difficult time. My family, and I are all praying for your babies to be healthy and to pull through this as well as for your own health. If there is anything I can do to help or if you need anything please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comments and prayers. This is a difficult decision however Chris and I have both actively sought the Lord and feel confident with our decision to place Baby D's fate in the Lord's hands. Thank you for your prayers and please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete